Maybe it’s the warmer weather. Maybe I’m missing the southwest where I lived for more than a decade. Or maybe it’s just because I had some jicama and an old plantain I needed to use up! 🤷🏼♀️ Whatever. In any case, I offer you this delish salad, which can stand by itself as a nutrient-dense meal, or next to your favorite protein. You can find every ingredient in your regular grocery store (yay!), AND you can serve this salad to your vegan friends (yay, again!). Happy spring!
Southwest Spinach Salad By http://www.wendisaipkitchen.com
- 1 fairly ripe plantain, peeled and diced
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 C. organic baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1/2 C. sliced black olives
- 1/2 C. raw jicama, peeled and cut into 1/2” strips
- 1/4 C. chopped green onion
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss plantains in EVOO. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, and let cool.
- Dump the rest of the above ingredients in a large bowl. Move on to the salad dressing: 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
For the dressing:
- Zest of one lime
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 2 T. EVOO
- 2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 t. sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 t. honey
- Whirl all ingredients in a blender, or small food processor. Make sure that all of the honey and salt are incorporated. (They like to glop together on the bottom.)
NOW: the plantains should be cool. Add them to the salad. Drizzle the dressing over all. Toss! Share with people you love – which can/should include yourself… 💗😉💗