Squash haters, this one is for you! I was totally surprised by how unbelievably buttery and delicious this recipe is. I’m not even sure how to categorize it. It can be a side dish, but it can also be an abso-freaking-lutely fabulous part of breakfast! Or even a dessert! No kidding! I’ve been having it every day with my breakfast sausage. Really yummy.
Here’s the best part. There are only five ingredients! This is a great way to sneak some nutrients into your kids (or yourself! 😁).
Of course, you could serve this on your Thanksgiving table. Here are some other ideas for side dishes for the holiday. 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼 (You may want to double, or triple the recipes, depending on the number of people you are serving.)
From my kitchen to yours, I wish you a Thanksgiving full of friends, family, and gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving!!! 🍁🦃 🍁
P.S. Don’t forget to get your AIP pie crust recipe here. 🥧
Apple Cinnamon Acorn Squash By http://www.wendisaipkitchen.com
- 1.5 lb. acorn squash
- 2 T. coconut oil, such as Trader Joe’s coconut oil
- 1/4 C. unsweetened apple butter (I use Eden organic apple butter.)
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- apple slices for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lop off both ends of the squash. Stand it on end, and cut it down the center. (Tip: Rock your knife up and down, and it will cut easier. Don’t try to “saw.”) Scoop out the seeds.
- Rub coconut oil (1 tablespoon/side) all over the orange flesh. Place squash halves face up on roasting pan like two bowls.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until squash flesh is very soft. Remove from oven, and let sit until it is cool enough to handle.
- With a fork, scrape out all the flesh and melted coconut oil into a bowl. Add apple butter, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix and mash thoroughly until it is creamy in texture. (You may want to warm it a bit before serving.) Garnish with apple slices, if desired, and serve.
- Let me know how you decided to use it (side? dessert?…)! Also, have a really wonderful holiday! 💗💗💗, Wendi
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.