Souuuuuuup! If you have been around me for any length of time, you know that I love soup! It is the one-dish wonder of the world – warm, nourishing, comforting, and an excellent way to get all the good things into your belly.
As a child, I loved Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup, full of crumbled saltines. Now, I really prefer this zhoozhed-up version with three different kinds of mushrooms. Cassava Lavosh Crackers are the perfect accompaniment.
Cheers, my fellow fungus lovers! (If you’re not one of those, that’s ok. I think you’ll like what I will have for you next time… 😉)
AIP Cream of Mushroom Soup By http://www.wendisaipkitchen.com
- 3 T. coconut oil
- 1/4 C. sliced shallot
- 1 drop of honey (to promote caramelization)
- 1/2 C. finely diced white sweet potatoes
- 8 oz. mixed mushrooms (baby bellas, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper (omit for elimination phase of AIP)
- 4 C. beef bone broth
- 1/2 C. coconut milk
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1 t. (rounded) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 T. arrowroot starch/flour
- 1 T. water
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add shallots and honey. Sauté.
- When shallots just begin to caramelize, add sweet potatoes. Sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper (if using). Sauté until mushrooms are done to your liking. (I like mine soft, but still a little al dente.)
- Add broth, coconut milk, vinegar, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, place arrowroot and water. Shake vigorously to make a slurry.
- Turn heat under the soup to high. Bring it just to a boil, and add the slurry. It will thicken quickly. When it has reached the desired consistency, turn off the heat and serve the yummy soup.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.