This AIP Cream of Mushroom Soup uses a mix of mushrooms and beef bone broth to make it richer and more complex than the canned version many of us know and love.Jump to Recipe
Souuuuuuup! If you have been around me for any length of time, you know that I love soup! It is the one-dish wonder of the world – warm, nourishing, comforting, and an excellent way to get all the good things into your belly.
As a child, I loved Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup, full of crumbled saltines. Now, I really prefer this zhoozhed-up version with three different kinds of mushrooms. Cassava Lavosh Crackers are the perfect accompaniment.
You will notice that I use arrowroot starch/flour as a thickener. Have you ever tried this stuff? It’s magic! It works like corn starch, only better. That is one advantage to being on a challenging diet – you find new things you never knew existed!
Cheers, my fellow fungus lovers! (If you’re not one of those, that’s ok. I think you’ll like what I will have for you next time… 😉)
AIP Cream of Mushroom SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: AIPDifficulty: Easy
This Cream of Mushroom Soup uses a mix of mushrooms and beef bone broth to make it richer and more complex than the canned version many of us know and love.
3 T. coconut oil
1/4 C. sliced shallot
1 drop of honey (to promote caramelization)
1/2 C. finely diced white sweet potatoes
8 oz. mixed mushrooms (baby bellas, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
1 t. sea salt
1/2 t. black pepper (omit for elimination phase of AIP)
4 C. beef bone broth
1/2 C. coconut milk
1 t. apple cider vinegar
1 t. (rounded) fresh thyme leaves
1 T. water
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add shallots and honey. Sauté.
- When shallots just begin to caramelize, add sweet potatoes. Sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper (if using). Sauté until mushrooms are done to your liking. (I like mine soft, but still a little al dente.)
- Add broth, coconut milk, vinegar, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, place arrowroot and water. Shake vigorously to make a slurry.
- Turn heat under the soup to high. Bring it just to a boil, and add the slurry. It will thicken quickly. When it has reached the desired consistency, turn off the heat and serve the yummy soup.
- Cassava Lavosh Crackers are the perfect accompaniment.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.