Souuuuuuup! If you have been around me for any length of time, you know that I love soup! It is the one-dish wonder of the world – warm, nourishing, comforting, and an excellent way to get all the good things into your belly.
As a child, I loved Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup, full of crumbled saltines. Now, I really prefer this zhoozhed-up version with three different kinds of mushrooms. Cassava Lavosh Crackers are the perfect accompaniment.
Cheers, my fellow fungus lovers! (If you’re not one of those, that’s ok. I think you’ll like what I will have for you next time… 😉)
P.S. Did you hear that the queen of all things AIP, Mickey Trescott, is publishing a NEW cookbook (125 recipes!)? And you can get a SIGNED hard cover pre-ordered copy, using my link below? And you can get it before the rest of the world does when it’s released in March 2019? And that she’s only offering these until the end of January, or whenever they are sold out? Get your signed copy before they’re gone! Here’s the link: https://bit.ly/2RPAnBu . NOTE: Remember, they won’t ship until after Christmas, so we’ll have to find other things to give our AIP friends. 😉
AIP Cream of Mushroom Soup By http://www.wendisaipkitchen.com
- 3 T. coconut oil
- 1/4 C. sliced shallot
- 1 drop of honey (to promote caramelization)
- 1/2 C. finely diced white sweet potatoes
- 8 oz. mixed mushrooms (baby bellas, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper (omit for elimination phase of AIP)
- 4 C. beef bone broth
- 1/2 C. coconut milk
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1 t. (rounded) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 T. arrowroot starch/flour
- 1 T. water
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add shallots and honey. Sauté.
- When shallots just begin to caramelize, add sweet potatoes. Sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper (if using). Sauté until mushrooms are done to your liking. (I like mine soft, but still a little al dente.)
- Add broth, coconut milk, vinegar, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, place arrowroot and water. Shake vigorously to make a slurry.
- Turn heat under the soup to high. Bring it just to a boil, and add the slurry. It will thicken quickly. When it has reached the desired consistency, turn off the heat and serve the yummy soup.
- Go get Mickey’s book. 😄
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.