I am unapologetically a soup girl. I am also a girl living in the south where fall has not yet visited upon us, so I am doing incantations. By the power of sweet potato and all things pumpkin spice, I shall summon fall from my kitchen!
This is the soup I made last week, when the highs were in the upper 80’s, and the humidity stubbornly remained in a similar range, except in the mornings when it was 100%. Because that’s how I roll, people. Also, because…bacon. Enjoy!!!
Sweet Potato Apple Soup w/Bacon By wendisaipkitchen.com
- 1/2 C. bacon, 1/2″ slices
- 1 C. chopped onion
- 1 C. apples, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 2 C. roasted sweet potato cubes
- 4 C. bone broth
- 2 t. apple cider vinegar
- Scallions for garnish
- Prepare all ingredients. This is important. You’ll need to work quickly to prevent burning.
- In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté bacon until very crisp. Do not allow the bacon to burn.
- Remove bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Quickly add onions to the remaining bacon grease. Sauté until translucent.
- Add apples, salt and thyme. Sauté for a minute, or two.
- Add sweet potatoes, and sauté until they are soft.
- Add bone broth and vinegar. Heat through.
- Working in batches, purée in a blender until very smooth.
- Return to pot. Heath through.
- Garnish with bacon pieces and scallions.