Every family has recipes that play on repeat in their house. This is one of those in our house, frequently requested by the picky teenager. I was at a loss for what to call it. It’s not really a sauce, or a ragu. I had a fancier name for this recipe, but my family started calling it by this irreverent name, and it stuck. So it’s not Beef & Beet Sauce Over Roasted Spaghetti Squash. It’s Cow in a Nest. Sigh…. Nevertheless, it’s filling and full of nutrients. The leftovers make a great AIP breakfast, too. Happy cooking!
Cow in a Nest By http://www.wendisaipkitchen.com
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- 1 lb. ground grass-fed beef
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper (omit for elimination phase of AIP)
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1/2 C. yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C. white sweet potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 C. golden beets, peeled and grated
- 1/2 C. apple, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel, chop, mince and/or grate all the vegetables as directed, except for the squash. That comes next.
- Cut both ends off the squash. Stand it up on a cutting board, and cut it down the middle. (Tip: rock your knife up and down to get through the squash a little easier.) Scoop out the seeds. Drizzle and brush some olive oil on the flesh. Sprinkle with salt. Place flesh side down on a parchment-lined roasting pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of your squash. (You can give it a squeeze with an oven mitt on to see if it’s soft.) Let cool. Scrape out the spaghetti-like strings with a fork, and set aside. While your squash is roasting, go on to the next step. 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
- In a large saucepan, place ground beef, salt, pepper (if using) and basil. Brown the beef over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, sweet potato and beets. Sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in apples and vinegar. Heat through.
- Serve over a “nest” of roasted spaghetti squash.
- Send the author your family’s ideas for a better title. 🤣
Hey, thanks! 😊