One of the challenges people have on the AIP is the amount of time it takes to cook from scratch. Today, I present a recipe for a MEAL that can be made in under 30 minutes! And there is one time-saving ingredient in here that… well, you’ll see…
The editor of the cookbook 30-Minute Meals on the Paleo AIP has allowed us contributors to release one of our recipes to you as a thank you for supporting our bloggy efforts. This is the recipe that I chose. It is a family favorite in our house. (If you haven’t snagged your copy of this book, get it here. It contains 123 recipes for AIP MEALS, on the table in 30 minutes!) Besides this recipe that I am about to divulge for you, beloved reader, I contributed recipes for Skirt Steak Fajita Bowls, and Citrus Scallops over Wilted Arugula and Roasted Carrots. De. Lish.
So, Orange Peel Chicken. Sound familiar? I used to love the dish of the same name at one certain chain restaurant, but alas, I cannot eat it anymore because of non-AIP ingredients. I decided to create my own. To make it in less than 30 minutes, I came up with a specific preparation strategy. (See directions.) I hope you love it, too!
Orange Peel Chicken over Cauliflower Steaks By http://www.wendisaipkitchen.com
- Large head of cauliflower
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- coconut aminos*
- 3 oranges
- 1 bunch green onions, tops only
- 4.25-oz. jar organic baby food carrots (Hey, if it’s good enough for babies..!😂)
- 1/3 C. coconut aminos*
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 T. coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 1 lb. organic chicken tenders
- 1 t. Arrowroot Starch/Flour
*Note: Coconut aminos are a gluten-free, soy-free substitute for soy sauce. They can be found in your grocery store near the soy sauce. Not all brands are the same, however. My absolute favorite brand for its color and richness is Big Tree Farms Coco Aminos. Also, many stores do carry arrowroot flour. If you can’t find it, I have included the link above.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut off the bottom of the cauliflower stem. Cut the head of the cauliflower in half down the center. Cut two “steaks” about 1” thick from each half. Reserve the rest of the head for another use. (Tip: Run it through a food processor to make cauliflower rice.)
- Place the four steaks on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO and coconut aminos.
- Place the steaks in the oven, and set the timer for 10 minutes. When done, carefully flip them, and bake for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile…👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
- Using a very sharp paring knife, or the wide side of a citrus zester, cut thin 2” strips of peel from the oranges. (Zest only, no pith.) Set strips aside.
- Chop the green onion tops to 2” pieces.
- Juice the oranges, and put juice in a small bowl. Add to that baby food carrots, 1/3 cup coconut aminos, ginger, arrowroot, and sea salt. Whisk.
- Cut chicken into 1” chunks.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add chicken, orange peel and onion tops. Sauté until chicken is done, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add liquid mixture. Heat through.
- Serve! Place one steak on each plate, and top with chicken mixture.
- Go get the book! And tell your friends! And have a great day! 🌻😁🌻
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.