💐Spring, glorious spring! Spring means that the farmers’ markets have amazing strawberries – juicy, sweet, and red all the way through. 🍓 So why not throw them on a salad? And for a counterpoint, how about – don’t freak out now – caramelized onions? And for a bit of acidity, a strawberry balsamic vinaigrette?
If you have successfully re-introduced goat dairy, some goat cheese would be to die for on this salad. And maybe some pepitas, if re-introduced. I promise that if you’re still in the elimination phase of AIP, this salad will still be yummy. It works as a side, or also as a main dish with the addition of a protein.
🍓Happy spring!!! 🌸🦋🌸
Spring Salad & Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette By www.wendisaipkitchen.com
For the dressing:
- 1/3 C. chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. honey
Whirl all ingredients in a mini food processor, or blender until completely smooth.
For the salad:
- 1 1/2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 2 drops of honey (to promote caramelization)
- Bibb lettuce, washed and cut
- Fresh strawberries, cut into quarters
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, place onions, olive oil, salt and honey. Stir, allowing the onions to cook until they are brown all over, but not burnt. I can’t tell you exactly how long this will take, but know that it will be longer than you think! Don’t try to hurry the process, though. Your patience will be rewarded. Just persevere. Let ‘em cook low and slow……… When they’re done, let them cool to room temperature.
- Arrange lettuce, strawberries and onions on each plate. (Your salad will look so much prettier than if you toss it all together.) Drizzle with dressing.
Note: I often talk about a mini processor on here. I use the Cuisinart 3-Cup Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor. It is an invaluable tool for making dressings, salsas, pesto, etc., and works better than a blender for these kinds of things, IMO. They come in fun colors, too. Mine is yellow! ☀️
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.