I’ve always loved soup, and Italian Wedding Soup is one of my faves. But how to make it AIP? The meatballs usually have breadcrumbs in them, and the soup usually has pasta in it. (Oh, pasta. How I miss thee… 😩) The meatballs are fine without breadcrumbs, and I have replaced the pasta with……..drum roll, please………riced green plantains! I know, I know. It’s not pasta. But I’m very happy to have this soup back in my life. I hope you enjoy it, too.
P.S. Time-saving tip for this recipe: prepare the veggies while the meatballs are baking. You’re welcome.
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 1/2 t. lemon zest
- 1/4 C. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1t. + 1 t. sea salt
- 2 T. EVOO (aka extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 C. chopped onion
- 1/2 C. finely chopped celery
- 1/2 C. grated carrots
- 2 C. riced green plantains*
- 2 qts. bone broth
- 4 C. loosely packed spinach
- 1/4 C. chopped fresh dill
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
*To rice the plantains, peel and chop green plantains. Run them through the food processor without any liquid, stopping occasionally to scrape down the bowl. Stop processing when the plantains are small crumbles, slightly larger than the size of rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients plus one teaspoon of salt. (I use a fork for mixing anything with ground chicken because it can be very sticky on the hands.)
- With a cookie scoop, or teaspoon, scoop out meat mixture onto a parchment- or silicone-lined roasting sheet. (You can form them rounder, but it’s not necessary for them to be perfect little balls. Who has time for perfection, anyway?) You should end up with a little over two dozen. Bake meatballs for 30 minutes. Meanwhile…👇🏼
- Heat EVOO in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add riced plantains to the pot. Sauté for another minute.
- Add bone broth, meatballs (when done), dill, and one teaspoon of salt. Bring to a full simmer.
- Add spinach and simmer for about a minute.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve up, and feel the warmth and health in your belly. Smile, knowing you have done something good for yourself. 💗😋💗