AIP Pesto is one of the best things about summer. There is just nothing like fresh basil in a dish. This version is dairy-free, nut-free, and all the other “frees” that go along with being on the autoimmune paleo diet.Jump to Recipe
Ahhhhh…summer basil! It is one of the best tastes of summer, IMO. Please, if you’ve never tried pesto before, do so immediately. But you’ll need an AIP version of the stuff because traditional pesto is made with nuts (pine nuts, or walnuts), and dairy (parmesan, typically).
My version of pesto has the cheesy taste of its traditional counterpart, thanks to large flake nutritional yeast. I’ve bumped up the nutrient factor by adding in some spinach. (Not my idea. I wish I could claim it, but I got the idea from Paleo Running Momma. Hey! Check out her site! Food bloggers can always use some love! 😊) Also, my version is a little spicy due to the amount of garlic I use – because I happen to luuuuuv garlic.
So what do you do with pesto once you’ve made it? Here are a few ideas:
* Mix it in some spaghetti squash.
* Dab it on some fish.
* Spread some over grilled chicken.
* Dip in any kind of veggie fries.
* Serve with tostones.
* Dunk your cassava chips” data-wplink-url-error=”true” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>cassava chips.
* Try a bite with watermelon.
*Mix with shredded chicken and a bit of coconut cream to make a chicken salad.
*Use your imagination! Play with your food! 💫
Now, how to make it….
AIP Pesto SauceCourse: CondimentCuisine: AIP, PaleoDifficulty: Super easy
AIP Pesto is one of the best things about summer. There is just nothing like fresh basil in a dish. This version is dairy-free, nut-free, and all the other “frees” that go along with being on the autoimmune paleo diet.
1 1/2 C. chopped fresh basil, loosely packed
1/2 C. chopped fresh spinach, loosely packed
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t. sea salt
- Whirl all ingredients in a mini food processor. That’s it! Make a batch for a friend! Make an extra batch and store in the fridge! Pesto for alllllllll! 😋😋😋
- I use the Cuisinart 3-Cup Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor. It is an invaluable tool for making dressings, marinades, pesto, etc., and works better than a blender for these kinds of things, IMO. They come in fun colors, too. Mine is yellow! ☀️
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.