Creamy Basil Chicken Pasta is a combination of fresh basil, chicken, and asparagus with a bit of creaminess. Here, I have tossed it with some gluten free sweet potato noodles, but it works well on any kind of pasta!Jump to Recipe
Living in an urban setting as I do, I no longer have a garden. (Boo.) You can be darn sure, though, that I found a tiny patch of ground for a basil plant. I just love the aroma, and the freshness that it adds to any summer dish.
You probably know by now that I also love pesto. (See my AIP Pesto recipe.) This dish combines sort of that pesto-y taste with creamy chicken and asparagus.
When I serve this in my house, my family has it over regular pasta while I enjoy it with sweet potato noodles. You could also serve this sauce over zoodles, or maybe cauliflower rice. Whatever. I encourage you to experiment in your kitchen!
About those noodles…
Did you know that there is actual pasta out there that AIPers can have??? Yes, my friends. Try sweet potato noodles, made with only sweet potato starch. These noodles are also called glass noodles because when you cook them, they become transparent. They’re a little bit weird in that regard, but when you’ve been on this diet as long as I have, anything that reminds you of real pasta is a joy. A joy, I tell you.
One last comment. It is really handy to have a mini food processor in your house. (Yes, I talk about this all the time!) I use mine for pesto, sauces, dips, dressings, etc. And just to add some fun to my kitchen, mine is bright yellow. 😀
Wishing you love and healing!
Creamy Basil Chicken PastaCourse: MainCuisine: AIP, PaleoDifficulty: Easy
Creamy Basil Chicken Pasta is a combination of fresh basil, chicken, and asparagus with a bit of creaminess. Here, I have tossed it with some GF sweet potato noodles, but it works well on any kind of pasta!
2 TBSP + 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. chicken tenderloins, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup full fat coconut milk
2 cups chopped fresh basil
5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 TBSP large flake nutritional yeast
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
2 cups chopped fresh asparagus (discard woody last quarter of the stalks)
1 TBSP arrowroot starch/flour
1 TBSP water
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a chef’s pan or large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add coconut milk. Cover. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook for ten minutes. Meanwhile…
- Place 1/2 cup olive oil, basil, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor or blender. Process until it is about the consistency of pesto. Set aside.
- When the chicken has cooked for ten minutes, add asparagus. Stir. Cover and cook another ten minutes.
- In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, place arrowroot starch and water. Shake vigorously to make a slurry. Add slurry to the pan, and turn the heat to high. As soon as the liquid thickens (which will happen quickly!), turn the heat down to low.
- Add basil mixture to the pan. Stir to combine. Taste to see if you’d like more salt.
- Serve over sweet potato noodles, zoodles, spiralized veg, etc.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.