Carob & Cherry Ice Cream is a fun, non-dairy, allergy-friendly treat for summer! Great option for people who are sensitive to chocolate.Jump to Recipe
OK, so you need this is in your life. I know, I know. We need to keep treats to a minimum, but we are human, even on the AIP or Paleo diet! And it’s summer! And because ICE CREAM! 😄
To make this recipe, you will need two pieces of equipment: a blender and an ice cream maker. The ones I’ve linked here are the ones I use in my own kitchen. Nothing fancy. BTDubs, I don’t have any data on whether this recipe would work in a crank turn ice cream maker, but if you’re willing to try it and report back to this community, feel free!
One piece of equipment/gadget that is non-essential but will make your life easier is a cherry pitter. (I’m lucky enough to have the one that belonged to my grandmother.) It will save you time from having to dig out the pit before chopping the cherries.
A caveat and a tip
First, the caveat: As I usually do when I post a treat recipe, I feel the need to manage expectations… Please, gentle reader, don’t expect this to taste exactly like chocolate ice cream. I’ve made every effort to get us as close as possible, but…
Now, the tip: We found that the actual flavor of this ice cream is better when the texture is closer to soft-serve. If you serve it right away, you won’t have an issue. But if you put it in the freezer, it will get kind of an icy, dry texture, and the flavors won’t play with each other as well. Enjoy your treat just a liiiiiiiitle soft and mellow.
Carob & Cherry Ice CreamCourse: DessertCuisine: AIP, PaleoDifficulty: Easy
Carob & Cherry Ice Cream is a fun, non-dairy, allergy-friendly treat for summer! Great option for people who are sensitive to chocolate.
- Make sure that you have frozen your ice cream maker insert overnight, or in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place coconut cream in a blender. Process until it has an even consistency.
- In a small bowl, place one tablespoon of the blended coconut cream, carob, syrup, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Turn the blender on to a fairly high setting. Gradually add the carob mixture. (I do this carefully with the lid off, but you may choose to use the feeder hole in the lid of the blender.) Process until smooth and consistent in color.
- Take the ice cream maker insert from the freezer, and place inside the maker. Transfer the contents of the blender into the insert. Stir in the cherries. Add the bowl scraper if your machine has one, turn on the machine and process for 20 minutes, or to manufacturer’s instructions.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.