This zingy kale salad is so versatile! You can have it as a side dish, or add a protein to it to make it a meal! You can eat it in December, or July! (It is named for its colors, not the time of year that you eat it.)
I have a big batch in my fridge right now on hand for lunches. Today, I added shredded chicken from my Falling-Off-The-Bone Crockpot Chicken, which I always keep on hand, but you can add whatever protein you like! I find that I do a much better job of keeping to my AIP diet if there is something that I can grab out of the fridge on the fly.
Christmas Kale Salad w/Citrus Dressing By wendisaipkitchen.com
- 4 large curly kale leaves
- 1 C. spiralized raw beets
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/3 C. dried cranberries (Note: leave off if you can’t tolerate any sugar.)
- 1 orange, peel cut away and sectioned
- Wash kale. Cut out stems, pat leaves dry, and cut into 1/2” ribbons. (Alternately, cut out stems, cut into ribbons, and spin in salad spinner.)
- Place kale in a large bowl. Now massage it. Yes, that’s right. Get both hands in there and squeeze that kale until it softens up and reduces volume by about half.
- Add remaining ingredients, and set aside while you make the dressing.
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 C. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper, or to your taste (omit for elimination phase of AIP)
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to salad.
- Feel the health returning to your body. 🙂