Yes!!! You can have mashed potatoes – IF they are mashed white sweet potatoes. There is no need to go off the rails at holiday meals when the mashed potatoes and gravy are passed around the table. Just make yourself a little side of these babies, and you are good to go! If you are the one hosting, you could make a big batch, and your guests might not even detect a difference. (Well…)
As I’ve mentioned before, white sweet potatoes are a pretty fair substitute for regular potatoes. They don’t roast very well, IMO, but they are great cooked in liquid, either in soups, or boiled. This recipe is easy and quick. Go for it! 😀
AIP Mashed Potatoes By wendisaipkitchen.com
- 2-3 C. white sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 C. coconut milk (full fat!)
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper (omit for elimination phase of AIP)
- 2 T. finely chopped green onions
- Boil potatoes in a large saucepan of water until they slide off easily when pierced with a knife. Drain.
- Add coconut milk, coconut oil, salt and pepper. Mash until potatoes are fluffy, and there are no lumps…unless you like lumps.
- Stir in green onions.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and re-heat later.